Category Archives: Uncategorized

Drobo: Thin Provisioning

If you know me, you know that I’m a huge proponent of Drobo.  As of late, the frustration level with Drobo is increasing and it may have edged away at this enthusiasm.

My most recent frustration came when I upgraded a drive in my Drobo to increase the usable space to more then 2TB.  After the Drobo finished updating all of its partitions, I was left with a partition that was labeled ‘unallocated’ in the Drobo dashboard.  After searching the interwebs (which yielded absolutely nothing on Drobo’s site for ‘unallocated’) and posting on a couple of forums, I was led to this:

http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/session/L3NpZC9LZFU0M3JWag%3D%3D/sno/0

This is telling me that I’m stuck with adding partitions to my Drobo of maximum size 2TB because of a decision I made when I originally set it up, at which time I was not told how this setting would affect me as I add disk space.  Further, I think that Drobo’s claims of being both “simple” and “scalable” are misleading as this limitation is not spelled out up-front and if you don’t understand this, the affects of scaling can be considerably different then what is expected.

Now that I have have realized this, the only way to have 1 single partition again is to (in Drobo’s own words) “migrate the data onto another Drobo or storage device, reformat the original Drobo device to the volume size of your choice, and then move the data back.”  With 2TBs of data, not only is this a huge pain in the ass, I need to buy another drive in order to fit the entirety of my Drobo on a disk before reformatting.

I think this a huge failure on Drobo’s part that could be fixed one of 2 ways:

  1. Be explicit about how setting this soft limit is actually a hard limit on the amount of space that can be allocated to a volume.
  2. Drobo creates a tool to resize partitions to change storage space on a partition.

A tool in this situation would prove extremely handy and would prevent any confusion or problems when going over this thinly provisioned partition cap.

Any help here, Drobo?

Safari: Open all links in new tabs

In trying to migrate from Firefox to Safari on all of my Macs, one thing that has bothered me is the inability to do 1-window browsing (i.e. opening all links in new tabs instead of new windows).  After scouring the interwebs, I am still unable to accomplish this in Safari v4.0.4 and Mac OS v10.6.2.  Even though there are multiple blog posts out there explaining a simple solution, it doesn’t seem to work on any of my machines.  Lastly, I know that SafariStand exists, but it seems both hacky and overkill for what I’m trying to accomplish.

Does anyone have a simple solution for this or know why the solution mentioned all over the web doesn’t work?

UPDATE

Pie in my face…  Under “Safari->Preferences->General” there is an option “Open links from applications” and setting that to “in a new tab in the current window” is the exactly what I was looking for (reference).  D’oh!

Fraud on Ebay

Recently, I upgraded my iPhone from a 3G to a 3GS and was planning on selling the 3G on Ebay.  After listing it then going through the bidding process, a user named “charlesgaulle” had won.  Immediately after the auction ended I noticed that this person was from France and my auction explicitly stated that this was to only be sold to someone living in the UK.  Also, the person’s name (Branson Jean) doesn’t even match the username, which is when I started getting suspicious.  Even though he was outside of the UK, I decided to go ahead and calculate shipping to France.  Once I had the shipping number, I sent him a message through Ebay detailing the new total including the updated shipping.

The following day, I received an email (that looked to be) from PayPal telling me the funds had been transferred, but the total was £20 more then I had requested.   This was weird, but even more concerning was that “PayPal” said they were waiting for me to ship before they would put the funds in my account.  Checking my PayPal account, there was absolutely no record of funds being added to my account.  Now that I was skeptical of this entire transaction, I went back to my email and checked the header on the email and sure enough it was fraud.  Here’s the from address in the header: service@paypal.com <pay.palshipmentnotifies@emailaccount.com>.

Going back to Ebay, there seems to be absolutely nothing that I can do.  I can’t report the user as they are no longer registered on Ebay.  Also, Ebay’s reporting system is abysmal.  It’s a tangled web of links that never lead you to what you want.  The closest thing to reporting anything about a member was “Threats of Bodily Harm”, so I submitted my complaint there.

A few days later and I’m still receiving all kinds of fake emails from PayPal, Ebay and “Branson Jean” trying to get me to ship the product even though funds still don’t exist in my PayPal account.  The frustrating thing about this whole thing is that Ebay is basically washing their hands of this.  You can see hundreds of the same types of fraud all over Ebay by just looking at descriptions of iPhones that are listed:  People relisting because of ‘time wasters’, auctions explaining that people trying to fraud others shouldn’t bother as “they have seen it all before”, etc.

I find it very disconcerting that Ebay is allowing this to fester because there are very few rules to stop this fraudulent behavior and they don’t give users an easy and straightforward way of reporting it.  Because of this, I’m not going to use Ebay for anything until they clean things up.